Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Tradition & Tradition

Wednesday morning, we were welcomed to Abi Dar Alghiffari Baccalaureate High School.  Dates and milk were delicately served to us as this is a Moroccan tradition.  We joined the staff in eating and drinking the ceremonial foods before our tour of the school.  After we toured the school and observed English and Science classrooms, we were served tea.



During the tea, I was answering questions students had about how to go to school in America.  Student Chadi, said "I have a problem with time management".  I told them all specifically to work to have high grades, participate in extra activities and write them on the applications, then to apply for financial aid at the universities they hope to attend, on time.  "Especially you, Chadi!"  When we were finished talking, I gave Shadi an Oklahoma scissor-tail flycatcher quarter so he would remember the Oklahoman.



I was still talking with kids when the pleasantries of the tea were being exchanged so I was finally ushered to the table to enjoy a glass and some delicious Moroccan pastries.  Students had been listening intently and said they liked my accent.  I will try to write with an Okie drawl from this post on.  Can you hear it?

Chadi came to the gate to say good-bye.  We exchanged a natural urban handshake.  He stepped back.  "I will miss you", he said.  "I'll miss you too."

Later on the bus, riding away from the school I asked a colleague from Tennessee, "Hey Allison, did any of the students just want to listen to you talk?"  She said "Yes, they did!  They said I talk slowly so they can understand better."  Note to self:  Moroccan students of English like the southerners.

That evening, we would begin to understand another tradition.

OinM

No comments:

Post a Comment